Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Routine and Refuge


We tend to be creatures of habit. Sandra always had routines and patterns in her life such as laundry on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The last few months, though, routines have been harder to stick with. Sandra is settling into Christine Morrison well, but with her health needs changing from day to day, routines aren’t always adhered to. The nice thing about hospice is that Sandra isn’t pressured into a routine that isn’t helpful to her. Even though meals are brought around at certain times, the nurses don’t insist on waking Sandra up if she’s sleepy in the morning. The bowl of cereal and milk can wait a couple of hours. Or if she’s hungry at different times, fresh sandwiches are kept in the refrigerator to be brought out as needed. It’s definitely a kind of place where resident and family alike are made to feel welcome and at home.

Sandra’s routines have often consisted of dozing late into the morning, getting cleaned up and into the wheel chair late morning, to go fix a puzzle or get wheeled around until lunch. Then it’s time for more strolling for the afternoon. Sandra loves to be wheeled up and down the hallways—she finds it soothing. But lately, she seems to be sleeping more. We do know the cancer is advancing and she is experiencing some difficulty now in the bladder area. There is concern of a possible infection.

Tomorrow (Thursday) Sandra will have sort of a field trip. She will be transported by ambulance back to Abbotsford Hospital for a routine procedure (tube change) that happens every 6 weeks. She should be back in Mission by mid to late afternoon.

Specific prayers for Sandra:
  • ·         That all will go smoothly with the transport and procedure.
  • ·         That if any infection is present it will be cleared up quickly.

It is our prayer for Sandra and for all of you dear readers:

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge;

    let me never be put to shame;
    deliver me in your righteousness.
 Turn your ear to me,
    come quickly to my rescue; 
be my rock of refuge,
    a strong fortress to save me.

(Psalm 32:1, 2)

--written by Ardie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ms. Elgersma, this is Chantal Vander Meulen. I just want to thank you for all the wonderful music lessons I endured during my time at Clayburn Hills... Sometimes I think about how you would let me "show off" the piano pieces I would learn at home, in class... And that is where I think my love for the piano took off. Playing at recitals/home/lessons was one thing, but playing in front of my friends was a whole other joy! I still play in church and for fun, and you're creative ways of music class has definitely impacted that. Thanks so much, my family keeps you in all our prayers.
    Chantal

    ReplyDelete