Nathan and I ran into Sandra's hospice doctor in the elevator today. She felt Sandra was settling in well at Christine Morrison Hospice and seemed to like it there. It is a very friendly, supportive community which has been good for Sandra and the family.
Sandra has been a part of many amazing communities. It is so beautiful for Sandra to receive emails and notes of encouragement from all over parts of North America, The Netherlands, and even Australia. I began to list today some of the communities Sandra's been a part of:
- Born in Ocean Park, BC Sandra grew up in the Langley/Surrey church and school communities. She had a visitor from that community today!
- Sandra first left home as a young adult to attend Dordt College in Iowa. She became a part of 2 different apartment communities there. They called themselves the Spiderweb and Koinonia. The Koinonia women together sent flowers this week in addition to their emails.
- As a new college graduate and certified teacher, Sandra moved to the community of Woodstock, Ontario. She made some wonderful, lasting friendships there. Those friends have been very faithful in their support.
- Then there's the community in Lacombe, Alberta where Sandra taught for many years. They walked alongside Sandra in her first battle with cancer in 1984 and continue to show an outpouring of love so many years later.
- More than 20 years ago, Sandra moved to Abbotsford to begin teaching at Abbotsford Christian School (ACS). Watch for a blog later on the amazing ACS community.
- Sandra's church community in Abbotsford has also been great--she had 5 visitors from church today. Many women from her church stepped up and stayed nights with Sandra this past year when we as family needed a break.
- An online support group for women with breast cancer continues to support Sandra even though she has been absent from their weekly time together since early January.
It doesn't matter what community you know Sandra from--whether it was included above or not. (I know I've missed some and apologize profusely!) She knows you and loves you! The notes on the blog, the emails of encouragement are loved and well received by Sandra. Please keep them coming at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since it's not possible to thank everyone, please accept this verse as our thanks.
"The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-26)
P.S. Keep the monkey name suggestions coming. There have been so many good ones. Watch for a blog posting soon about how the naming is going.
--written by Ardie