This is Ardie writing again. It's about 4 a.m. Saturday morning. I just got home from being with Sandra at the hospital. At about 9:15 p.m. Friday night Sandra took her temperature, and it was in the "danger zone" they had warned us about at the chemo classes. So she followed protocal and phoned the oncologist on call. After talking with Sandra he told her to get to the emergency room.
When we arrived at emerg, they took Sandra in right away. The oncologist had called and told them she was coming. They were very concerned that she not be in a waiting room of sick people. We knew pretty much right away that she would be admitted. However, because the oncology wing of the hospital is new and the oncologist Sandra had talked to is from Surrey Hospital and doesn't have admitting privileges at Abbotsford Hospital, the paperwork to get her admitted took forever and was still not done when they finally moved her to her room at 3:30 a.m.
In the mean time, Sandra was a human pin cushion for the blood work and then later the IV. It was not good. We lost count of how many times she got poked. It was evidence of the need for a port-a-cath.
Sandra's white blood count is very low so until they figure out what is causing the infection, she will be in the hospital. She has already had an antibiotic and been tested for some infections. The oncology nurses said they will start with antiviral and if necessary antifungal medications.
For now...no visitors at the hospital because of the danger of infections.
Second, the oncology nurses requested that I spread the word to not send Sandra flowers or plants right now--I guess they tend to harbor other bugs that could be harmful to Sandra.
I'll update the blog when I know more.